Water is able to quench heated metals rapidly as well. It can cool a metal even faster than oil. In a fashion similar to oil quenching, a tank is filled with water and the heated metal is submerged in it. It can also be flushed through a part. One benefit of water is that flammability of the media is not a concern. We have 12,000, 15,000 & 35000 liters capacity of Water Quenching tank.
Water quenching is a rapid cooling, where water as a quenching medium extracts heat much faster. Water cooling typically will give you higher hardness but more stressed component.
The process of water quenching is as follows,
- It begins by fully austenitizing the material, depending on the grade of material.
- It is held for a time commensurate with the part cross-section.
- This step can be done using a carbon-controlled protective atmosphere to prevent decarburization and the formation of scale as required.
- The load is then quenched in agitated water to produce a fully hardened martensitic microstructure.
- After the quench, the parts are tempered down to the specified hardness.